I talked to Mother Nature.



"There have been many,
who've passed by me;
Lost in their own reverie."
She whispered to me.


"I cannot see how 
that could be true.
You can't be ignored,
even by a few."



She stopped me then,
"The beauty you see,
Within me, is invisible
to those who seek me"


"Now I see, I came 
in search of a question,
While many hopelessly
waited for the answers"


I paused.
A deep breath I did inhale.
Time raced me by and
so did the memories.


"I came to the land 
of freedom and joy, 
Everybody joyous and fine,
The women; so coy.


The men were helpful,
The kids, drops of heaven.
The nature so lovely.
The life so simple."


She stopped me there.

"Nay, not they.

You talk of the content.
They were enlightened.
On the right path."


I frowned and pondered.

"As generations passed,

I saw them build monsters,
In the night they made merry.
and in the light they squirmed.


The women dipped in ignorance,
The men in their greed.
The kids neglected and
The nature - burnt in haste."


"Were these the people
who came to you?
The apathetic breed with
their questions by the dozen?"


She nodded sadly,


"It was them of course,
with all sorts of misery.
Their incredulous questions
overlooking their stupidity."


"You come here,
with no questions in your mind.
I am amazed, for 
it is highly unlikely for your kind."


"A boon I shall grant you,
for a question answered right.
Simple though it may be;
You shall complicate it on your own."


In the high pitch laughter,she rose.
Her beauty glowing in her rage.
Her creations causing her much pain.
Evident in those lovely eyes, so pale.


"Answer me now, mere mortal.
For you have come to my abode;

wanting the question earnestly
and not the silly answers."


"WHY HAVE MY CHILDREN FAILED?"
She screamed in my face.
She breathed fire, 
Smelled of rancid waste.


Dazed as I was,
with a knowledge new.
I ventured an answer,
with a fluent tongue and a voice renewed.


"It is not a thing of bounty,
The Earth is the vessel.
We, humans though the favoured.
Are merely the users.


Destroy the vessel and
There is no more food,
destroy the food and 
the vessel is of no use.


Equality is the balance, 
of all forces present.
Mute though nature might be,
Respect was due.


Nature soon started talking.
Its wrath soon burnt all,
the life, the men and 
all that they grew.


The men of knowledge
realised this was a revolt
From the humble nature
they devoured too soon


Foolish, as man can be.
Realisation shall dawn anew.
With this answer of mine. 
I hope you grant the promised boon"


Softened did her eyes go, 
As she heard the honest plea.
Smiling, she said


"Renew the world, 
as you renewed my faith.
Let us not lead 
another generation to go to waste."


The fires calmed down,
As if they had been quenched
by the kind monsoon 
Rain drops pattered on my head.


I woke up out of my slumber so deep.
And wondered to myself.
Did I just give the world 
another chance to breathe?







Comments

Greeshma Ramesh said…
Exemplary!:) This one's my favourite Gauthamaa! :) Such simple words, yet so brilliantly put.

Popular Posts